Sunday, June 25, 2017

Perfect Riding Times

I've managed to ride all three horses three days in a row.  I used to do this fairly often - sometimes I even rode four when Dawn was still here in Illinois - but I'd fallen out of the habit.  I've started working back towards that again, and it's a very satisfying afternoon when I have the time to do it.

We were somewhat warm and humid on Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were both beautiful - temperatures in the 70s with low humidity and a nice strong breeze to keep the bugs at bay.  And Saturday and Sunday we rode in the beautiful, large outdoor arena.

My routine is to get to the barn about 2 p.m., bring Missy in from her turnout - she usually meets me at the gate - she starts walking there as soon as she spots me walking down the hill - groom her and ride.  Missy's not currently sound at the trot so we do a 15-20 minute walk ride.  We'll do another lunge recheck of her soundness on Monday, July 3, and if she's not better we'll do another 5-day course of Equicoxx to see if that helps her out.  But she's good to walk and very happy to do so.

Then I bring Red and Pie and in, and groom them in their stalls while waiting for the bring-in traffic to clear out of the barn aisles.  Once the aisle's clear, I saddle them both - it's nice that they wear different saddles (Missy shares Pie's - she needs no shims and he does due to his narrower shoulders).

If the feed cart is about to come around, I wait to ride - I try to be considerate of my horses.  I usually ride Red next - he worries less about Pie being ridden if he's already been ridden himself.  I don't ride either Red or Pie for a very long time - we usually ride about 30 minutes.  My horses are all trained well at this point and do pretty much exactly what I ask them to do, with softness and deep connection - even if it's something new, or something we haven't done for a long time, they very quickly understand what I want - so we just enjoy our time together and work on building our (already very close) connections and our mutual softness.

Joy and delight - that's what I experience when I'm with my (marvelous) horses.

May all your horse days be as good.

7 comments:

  1. That does sound like an amazing afternoon routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates, Kate. I think of you when I see your retirees at Melissa's. Glad you're all doing well (Missy, get well-re!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've got the routine down pat. What a great time we have spending it with our horses everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! It's nice to have a routine. I miss it when we don't (like now). Not so sure our horses care either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I get older I understand the value of routine. It's actually very satisfying. Sounds like you are in a good place with your horses connection wise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog, and just got back into the horse world after a 10 year hiatus. May all our days be as good indeed! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.